Sauraseni Maitra, a young actress from Kolkata, is enjoying the challenges that come with playing a historical figure. In Taj: Reign of Revenge, which is currently streaming on an OTT platform, Sauraseni holds her own as the attractive and strong Mehrunissa, prince Salim's love interest. She shares with us her experience of giving the character life.
How did you land the role of Mehrunissa in the web series Taj?
During the pandemic in April 2021, I got a call from the team. I had to submit an audition while wearing makeup and a costume, but I couldn't at the moment. While I was filming for Ekannoborti in July, I received a further contact from them. Because of how hectic my schedule was, I was unable to submit it. I received a call straight from Taj's producer a long time later, while I was in Mumbai filming for another project. She insisted that I set aside two hours of time to perform the audition no matter what. They were very interested in it. I attended the audition, and my goal was realised two days later.
What were the challenges in getting into the character of Mehrunissa?
I didn't have much time to prepare. Seasons 1 and 2 were being filmed at the same time. One of the final characters to be cast was me. But I made sure I was always available. Because it is a significant difficulty in and of itself to film a historical drama for an audience in 2023. You must persuade the audience. Any actor must make the case to herself that she fits into that time period. The showrunner, William Borthwick, and I spoke all the time. The movie has undergone seven years of study. They designed Mehrunissa's transformation into Noor Jahan. It was crucial for me to consider what the creators were thinking.
The show makes a Game of Thrones reference if you look at its aesthetic and tone. Each character has a positive and negative side. The ideal combination of sugar and spice is Mehrunissa. Despite all the obstacles, she is able to achieve her goals because she is aware of what she wants and how to attain it. On the other hand, she is a devoted daughter and has a sensitive side. She also expresses her love and admiration for Salim. Being a filler for another person requires a lot of strength, in my opinion. To persuade someone else, you must be convinced of your own worth. Real kingmaker Mehrunissa is.
How difficult was it, Playing a historical character…
Noor Jahan was among the most powerful women in India, according to Sauraseni Maitra. The persona carries a great deal of accountability. The script is always taken directly from the Bible, but there were many opportunities for me to improvise. I varied how I said the phrases in order to give the character strength. I am a very impromptu actor, as well as a director's actor. I'm not too serious about it. I embody the character I'm portraying when I don a costume.
How did the creation of the beautiful 'Mehrunissa' take place?
The credit for the makeup and hair's look, feel, and style goes to the designer, according to Sauraseni Maitra. There was extensive research involved. It was crucial for me to stay faithful to the character and accurately and convincingly depict her experience. I had to get used to wearing the bulky jewellery and clothes. Gujarat was the location of our shooting. Really high temperatures prevailed. Our characters were not supposed to feel or appear uncomfortable, even if we were.
Did you have to learn to speak Urdu?
Yes, I had to speak in both Hindi and Urdu, Sauraseni Maitra. It was difficult to master the language at that time. My diction and pronunciation needed a lot of improvement.
I was given a script, but it contained several words that I had to look up on the internet, ask my directors about, and learn from them. Together with the assistant directors, I would practice my lines. It's also crucial to understand about Mughal etiquette and to adjust to the body language of the time. There was a lot of work involved.
What was your experience of working with Naseeruddin Shah, who plays emperor Akbar.
Naseer Sir's show is Taj, said Sauraseni Maitra. The programme is Akbar's. We are only a small part of his world. Working with him was such a pleasure. On the first day of the shoot, I got to know Naseer Sir. I didn't argue with him in any way. For an actor, he is always daunting because of the way he interacts with people at 73 and because of his body of work, but you also gain so much knowledge from him.
When I'm standing there in my costume with him, I'm not looking at Naseeruddin Shah; I'm looking at Emperor Akbar, and I'm looking at Mehrunissa, so as an actress, I need to have that confidence in myself. I picked up so much from watching him alone. He still puts in a lot of effort and is very passionate about his career.
What differences have you seen in both the Bengali and Hindi film industries, since now you have experience of both the world ?
Bengal has more potential, but it's crucial to treat your performers well, according to Sauraseni Maitra. In Kolkata, people don't treat you with respect. I believe we are actually falling behind the South when we contrast ourselves with them. Take a look at how movies are performing in theatres! Bengali films are not being watched by anyone. However, it is improving and developing.
What are your next projects lined up?
Sauraseni Maitra: I will do a web series with Aritra Sen. There are a few national and regional projects too.
READ NEXT : TheShekar Kapur Classic : Why the Masoom Sequel Deserves Your Attention


